Job Opening: The Arc of King County
Published Apr. 23, 2015
The Executive Director is the key management leader of The Arc of King County. The Arc of King County is a leader in advocating for and serving the needs of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities throughout the county and as a leader in the state. The Executive Director will lead the organization as it defines its long term strategic and operational goals and plans. S/he will work with the Board and staff as a leader, mentor and resource to accomplish these goals. The position reports directly to the Board of Trustees. The areas of focus are:
• Responsible for fully engaging with staff, Board, clients, members and external partners to understand the full scope and scale of programs, operations, finances, organizational structure, resource development and external relationship.
2. Strategic Thinking and Envisioning
• Responsible for building on a recently completed review of the mission, our goals, and a two year operating plan, s/he will lead the creation of and constant evolution and adaptation of a dynamic vision and plan for the future.
3. Operational Leadership/Team Leadership
• Responsible for overseeing the senior staff and ensure all annual objectives are clearly defined, well managed and that accountability for anticipated results occurs.
• Responsible for leading, coaching, developing, maintaining, and retaining an outstanding senior management team.
• Responsible for developing appropriate metrics and systems to track and support the realization of the operational goals. S/he will ensure that on-going and evolving programs serving our clients and our community meet the highest standards of excellence and will be responsible for the on-going evaluation of those programs. S/he will ensure that the internal support departments – finance, admin/operations, human resources, fund development, marketing and IT provide outstanding service to ensure the successful attainment of our mission.
4. Board Relationship
• Responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting a strong, engaged, and committed Board. S/he will serve as ex-officio on all Board committees providing necessary cohesion and communication for all committees. S/he will work with and support Board activities in their governance and in their resource development responsibilities.
5. Resource Development
• Responsible for working with the Board and Staff to expand the predominantly public sector funding and contract income to include more private philanthropic support. S/he will engage deeply in developing and maintaining relationships in the philanthropic community leading to greater private support for the organization and for our programs. S/he will work to leverage this significant leadership role as a leading voice in the community to build visibility and support for the work of The Arc of King County.
6. External Relationships
• Responsible for being the public and external face and voice of the organization and will engage with all of the community partners whose work align with and complement our own. S/he will actively participate with public and private agencies, will serve as a leading voice in the advocacy movement, and will engage with policy makers in both the public and private sectors.
• Bachelor’s Degree required with graduate level work in related fields preferred.
• Proven track record (5 years + combined senior level or executive experience) of leading or being a senior level executive in a mid to large size not for profit organization ($3 million annual budget or greater, 50 FTE or greater).
• Areas of strength include both highly sophisticated financial management skills and program development and management experience.
• Experience working with the finance and senior director teams to develop budget and operate within those financial expectations.
• Ability to apply financial considerations to longer term strategic planning.
• Ability to establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements and partnerships with government agencies, other service agencies, contractors, and community groups required.
• Experience and/or expertise in operations management and human resource management are also preferred.
• Experience working with Boards of not for profit organizations and able to develop a strong relationship with the Board of Trustees.
• A track record of successfully raising private sector funds in support of an agency’s mission, including program and general operating funding. An understanding of specific funding sources available for support of disability advocacy and services is preferred.
• Experience in representing organizations and their clients in the public eye. Excellent written communication and public speaking skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to and experience in fostering an organization’s internal and external commitment to inclusivity and cultural relevance and competence. Multi-lingual competence desirable. Experience in working with and creating partnerships between multiple communities serving the needs of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
• Must work flexible hours and days including evenings and weekends as required. Must have a valid driver’s license and pass a back ground check.
Salary is negotiable, dependent on qualifications, and competitive for an organization of this size and area of engagement. Benefits include medical, dental insurance, paid personal leave, paid holidays, 401K, life and disability insurance and flexible spending account.
Please send a resume and cover letter to EDsearch@arcofkingcounty.org and write Executive Director Search and your name in the subject line (Executive Director Search – Jane Doe).
Position open until filled, but initial deadline for application submission and full consideration is May 12, 2015.
For additional information, please visit our website at www.arcofkingcounty.org. Staff support for this search is provided by Mark Crawford, Interim Executive Director.