Parent to Parent (P2P) documents
The following are documents for Washington State P2P Coordinators.
P2P Coordinator Manual
Introduction and Table of Contents
Appendix A - Sample Forms, Tips, & Guides
- Survey Forms
- Evaluation Forms & Questionnaires
- Example: Coordinator Job Announcement/Description
- Example: Chelan Douglas Job Description
- Phone Logs and Intake Forms
- Guide For Running A Support Group - Parent to Parent of Pennsylvania
- Tips for Parent Participation and IEPs (Individual Education Plan)
- Guides & Forms for Family Advisors - Seattle Children's
- The Language of Disability: People First
Information on ACES
- Notes: “The Science of HOPE- Health Opportunities for People Everywhere” conference in Seattle, WA - April 26-27, 2017 by Susan Atkins
P2P Helping Parent (HP) Training Manual
- Welcome to Holland by Emily Pearl Kingsley
- Celebrating Holland-I'm Home by Cathy Anthony
Appendix A - Other Training Materials
- Sample Training Agendas & Flyers, pt. 1
- Sample Training Agendas & Flyers, pt. 2
- Circles of Support; Belonging, & Information on Facilitation
- New Horizons, Acceptance, & Adaptation
- Kaleidoscope Wheel: A Useful Strategy for Change
- Sample Online Training Evaluation Form: Pennsylvania
P2P Helping Parent (HP) Powerpoint Manual - in Spanish
(Compiled by P2P Yakima County)
English and Spanish resource for Understood.org. Information about the school system in Special Education, stories from parents and students and much more. Easy to understand and navigate. How we can be a good advocate for our children using the same language as the professionals use.
Parent to Parent Contact List
See links to the right
About Parent to Parent /Ethnic Outreach
See links to the right
Parent to Parent Disability Information & Resource Brochure
See links to the right
Epilepsia en Washington
a DVD produced through a Washington State Department of Health Epilepsy grant and with a collaboration with CSHCN and P2P showing parents talking about the struggles they face. If you need copies of the DVD or have questions, click here to email Lorraine Van Brunt, Family Involvement Coordinator.
Overview of Washington State P2P Programs - This presentation was given by Susan Atkins at the P2P USA Directors Leadership Institute in September, 2013.
Using Social Media to Facilitate Peer Support - This presentation was given by Cathy Murahashi in a webinar on November 19, 2013.
- County Child Health Notes Newsletter on ACES (DRAFT)
- Five Protective Factors - By Strengthening Families
- Getting to Green: Possible Regulation and Stress Response Correlates of Interpersonal Modes Across the Lifecycle
- MCH Performance Measure Map - 2013
- Resilience - Developed by Greg Schell, Director of WSFN
- Traits that Promote or Lessen Resilience - Stress Solutions, 2003
Mindfulness & Meditation Resources - Thanks to Kate Orville for this info. The Leveys introduce readers to dozens of mindfullness and meditation techniques, skillfully organized into five categories of practice, making Mindfullness, Meditation, and Mind Fitness a very comprehensive and easy-to-use resource for inner exploration and transformation.
- Wisdom at Work - YouTube Channel for Dr. Joel & Michelle Levey
- "Resilience Through Complexity" - Dr. Joel & Michelle Levey's Keynote Speech
Through our Helping Parent program, we match parents looking for extra support with a Helping Parent, who has been trained to offer confidential, non-judgmental support and understanding. Our Helping Parents have access to a Yahoo support groups just for them, as well as leadership and advocacy opportunities throughout the year.
In addition to in-person and one-on-one support options, we're also proud to offer close to 20 virtual support groups for a variety of communities: single parents, parents of medically complex children, parents of adults, dads only, and so much more. For information about our online support options, including groups based on diagnosis, region of the county, specific life circumstances, and more, click here: http://arcofkingcounty.org/resource-guide/support-groups/support-groups-overview.html
For information about Parent to Parent in King County, including Helping Parents, click here: http://arcofkingcounty.org/services/parent-to-parent.html.
For information about services and support available for Spanish speaking families, click here: http://arcofkingcounty.org/resource-guide/support-groups/support-groups-overview.html
For African American community support contact Richard Mullen at 206-829-7036 OR RMullen@arcofkingcounty.org
Skagit P2P Helping Parent Training - Presented by Heather Milliren, Skagit County P2P on April 29, 2015. NOTE: This is for reference only and not to be copied by other programs.
- Active Listening Activities - to accompany Skagit P2P HP "Communication" section
Links to various video clips that were a part of this presentation:
- WA Parent to Parent Video series on YouTube
- Brene Brown's "Empathy vs. Sympathy"
- "Welcome to Holland" poem by Emily Perl Kingsley as performed by Ron Silcock
- "Welcome to Holland" poem by Emily Perl Kingsley (with nice visuals and background music)
- 'Sunshine After the Storm" how P2P can help by Rachel Nemhauser
There are many different visualizations on YouTube for "Welcome to Holland". This is just a sample of what's available.
- Delta Gamma Helping Parent Clip: Phone Scenario 1: "What Not To Do" (Scroll through various video clips on this page to find it)
“Welcome to Vegas”, by Tracie Hoppis parent from Yakima-"When Andy was diagnosed with Autism, our lives were anything but serene and peaceful. Sleepless nights, wild tantrums and marathon meltdowns, food phobias, restrictive and repetitive behaviors, invisible “triggers”, and daily sensory overload. I think our lives more closely resembled Las Vegas! "
Finally, Karlene Umbaugh of Whatcom P2P uses mini containers of Playdough as a hands on activity during her training. She sets these out on the table and asks that each participant shape the Playdough into an animal that best represents themselves. Toward the end of the training she allows time for each participant to explain their animal. This offers insight about that participant for her to keep in mind when making a match.
If you have questions about the above Skagit or Whatcom County materials, please contact them directly. Click here for their contact information.
Apple Health, Private Insurance and DD Waivers...Who's Got You Covered (Informing Families)
Personal Care Services (for undocumented) and those not served by DDA
P2P Connection Newsletter issue 71 - Travis Alert Law
Article: "Life After High School, ten skills to teach your child" by Diane Adreon, M.A.
From Pennsylvania P2P: The Importance of and Tips on Matching
Personal Style Inventory - Source: David Merrill & Roger Reid, Personal Styles and Effective Performance
Peer Mentoring Waiver Service DDA written by State P2P Coordinator Susan Atkins
Congratulations to Skagit County P2P, South Sound P2P (Thurston/Mason Counties) and Yakima County P2P as they were awarded the DOH/PAVE RFP Awards. See below what they will be tackling.
Due to a loss of state funding, the Center for Children with Special Needs closed for its doors effective September 30, 2018. This directory lists camps that were offered summer 2018. Please note, this directory does not include individual camp information including dates for summer 2019. You will need to visit the individual camp websites for specific information