Advocacy in Washington state
The backbone of The Arc of Washington State is grassroots advocacy by individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. In order to ensure that their needs, interests and values drive public policies, we work with parent and self-advocacy groups throughout the state to inform and educate individuals about the legislative process and current developmental disability issues.
Two projects funded by the Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council support the combined efforts of advocacy groups and individuals as they educate policy makers on issues affecting people with developmental disabilities are:
The Advocacy Partnership Project:
- Information or technical assistance on legislative issues
- Presentations on advocacy
- Advocacy Day each Wednesday during the legislative session at The United Churches 110 - 11th Street in Olympia
- 2011 Statewide Disability Legislative Reception
- Legislative Action Alerts
- The Olympia Insider, news emailed several times a year to Arc members
For more information regarding the Advocacy Partnership Project, please contact Diana Stadden or call (360) 357-5596, ext. 107.
- Education and training to people with developmental disabilities interested in learning about the legislative process.
- Regional SAIL coordinators and mentors who provide local self advocacy groups with up to date information and assistance.
- Presentations and workshops to new and experienced advocates.
- Support to Self Advocates in Leadership (SAIL), a statewide self-advocacy coalition focused on shaping public policies.
For more information regarding SAIL, please contact Emily Rogers or call (360) 357-5596, ext. 102.
Sign up for legislative action alerts related to developmental disabilities.
Advocacy Days offer a way for you to learn about the legislative process in person.
Self-Advocates and Parents and Community Members join together to bring about positive change.
A summary of legislative budgets, bills of interest and issue papers.
"Olympia Insider" video updates and "Olympia Reporter" articles
Current Media Coverage, Events and Press Releases
“Study the past if you would define the future.” ~ Confucius
This is the full job description for the open position at The Arc of Washington State for Associate Director, Self Advocacy.