Advocacy for people with intellectual & developmental disabilities, their families, and allies
The Legislative Notebook is your resource for advocacy. It includes public policy ideas that community members are working on and information to help you understand how health, education, and social services affect people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
A little about the 2024 session:
The 2024 state legislative session is year two of a biennium.
That means legislators met last year and passed 2-year state budgets for operating expenses, transportation, and capital projects. This year, they will adjust the budgets as money allows. They will also consider bills that did not pass last year and can consider new ones.
It is also a short session – just 60 days. The legislature convenes January 8, 2024.
About the Notebook:
This year’s notebook includes survey results from the IDD community, legislative issues that advocates are working on, and resources and data to support your advocacy.
You can download the December 4, 2023, Legislative Notebook Meeting presentation here. It includes short summaries of the issue proposals, as well as highlights from the IDD Support and Advocacy Survey. You can watch the video here. (To hear the Spanish interpretation, click on the globe and choose Spanish.)
Top of mind: Access to services, equity, housing
Issues advocates are working on
They propose legislation to improve services or support.
Each paper lists the groups working on the issue and a contact person.
This year, issues fall into six categories:
- Nothing About Us Without Us
- Eliminate the Community Protection Program
- Fix Systemic gaps with Abuse Investigations and Mortality Reviews
- Create a Legal Service Pilot Program
- Prevent Inappropriate Hospitalization
- End Isolation, Restrict Restraint in Schools
- Increase Options for Community Housing
- Build residential capacity to support people with complex needs
- Increase Provider Rates to Stabilize Supported Living
- Provide Adequate Respite for Live-in Caregivers
- Ongoing Funding for IDD Housing and Support
- $25 million for IDD Housing in 2024
- The Multicultural Village
- The Arc Legacy Center
- Pay Parent-Caregivers of Children with Disabilities
- Safety & Support Supervision in the Family Home
- Digital Transformation of DDA Services
- Invest in Parent to Parent Network
- Create an Adult Day Program Waiver Service
- Accessible Transportation (Para transit)
- Fully Fund Capacity for Supported Employment and Community Inclusion Services
- Funding Fix for Early Supports
- Make Due Process in Special Education Fair
- Design, Resource, and Enforce Inclusive Learning
- Remove the Cap on Special Education Funding
- Explore FAPE for Adult Learners with Disabilities
- End Isolation, Restrict Restraint in School
New! Social media graphics
Early learning and K-12
- graphic_Early supports funding fix
- graphic_Make due process in special education fair
- graphic_End isolation in schools
- graphic_End cap on special education funding
- graphic_Pay parents of minors
- graphic_Create new day program for adults
- graphic_Increase community residential rate
IDD 101 (under construction)
Connecting with Legislators (under construction)
Fact Sheets for DDA Programs & Services (under construction)